New Content (1)
User GuidesUG-1529: EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG User Guide
Features and Benefits
- Multimodal analog front end
- 8 input channels with multiple operation modes to accommodate the following measurements: PPG, ECG, EDA, impedance, and temperature
- Dual channel processing with simultaneous sampling
- 12 programmable time slots for synchronized sensor measurements
- Flexible input multiplexing to support differential and single-ended sensor measurements
- 8 LED drivers, 4 of which can be driven simultaneously
- Flexible sampling rate from 0.004 Hz to 9 kHz using internal oscillators
- On-chip digital filtering
- SNR of transmit and receive signal chain: 90 dB
- Ambient light rejection: 60 dB up to 1 kHz
- 400 mA total LED drive current
- Total system power dissipation: 50 µW (combined LED and AFE power), continuous PPG measurement at 75 dB SNR, 25 Hz ODR, 100 nA/mA CTR
- SPI and I2C communications supported
- 256-byte FIFO
The ADPD4000/ADPD4001 operate as a complete multimodal sensor front end, stimulating up to eight LEDs and measuring the return signal on up to eight separate current inputs. Twelve time slots are available, enabling 12 separate measurements per sampling period.
The data output and functional configuration utilize an I2C interface on the ADPD4001 or a serial port interface (SPI) on the ADPD4000. The control circuitry includes flexible LED signaling and synchronous detection. The devices use a 1.8 V analog core and 1.8 V/3.3 V compatible digital input/output (I/O).
The analog front end (AFE) rejects signal offsets and corruption from asynchronous modulated interference, typically from ambient light, eliminating the need for optical filters or externally controlled dc cancellation circuitry. Multiple operating modes are provided, enabling the ADPD4000/ADPD4001 to be a sensor hub for synchronous measurements of photodiodes, biopotential electrodes, resistance, capacitance, and temperature sensors.
The ADPD4000/ADPD4001 are available in a 3.11 mm × 2.14 mm, 0.4 mm pitch, 33-ball WLCSP and 35-ball WLCSP.
For more information about the ADPD4000/ADPD4001, contact Analog Devices, Inc., at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wearable health and fitness monitors: heart rate monitors (HRMs), heart rate variability (HRV), stress, blood pressure estimation, SpO2, hydration, body composition
- Industrial monitoring: CO, CO2, smoke, and aerosol detection
- Home patient monitoring
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG evaluation board provides users with a simple means of evaluating the ADPD4000 / ADPD4001 photometric front end.
The EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG evaluation board implements a simple discrete optical design for vital signs monitoring applications, specifically wrist-based photoplethysmography (PPG).
The EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG has three green light emitting diodes (LEDs), one infrared (IR), and one red LED, all separately driven. A single 7 mm2 photodiode (PD) is populated on the board. The PD has no optical filter coating. However, a pin for pin alternative device with an IR block filter is available.
The full evaluation system includes the Wavetool Evaluation Software graphical user interface (GUI) that provides users with low level register access and high level system configurability. Raw data streamed to this tool can be displayed in real time with limited latency. Views are provided for both frequency and time domain analysis.
A user datagram protocol (UDP) transfer capability from the Wavetool Evaluation Software (available for download below) allows data stream connections and register configurability to external analysis programs, such as LabVIEW® or MATLAB®, in real time.
The EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG board is powered by the EVAL-ADPDUCZ microcontroller board (obtained from the EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG product page). In addition to the power requirements, serial port interface (SPI) (default) or I2C data streams are received from the ADPD4000 by the microcontroller. A ribbon cable connects the two boards. The microcontroller repackages the data, sending it to a virtual serial port over the USB to the PC, displayed on the Wavetool Evaluation Software. The EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG can also be connected directly to the microcontroller development system of the user, using the SPI for the ADPD4000 (or I2C for the ADPD4001).
The ADPD4000/ADPD4001 data sheet provides full specifications for the ADPD4000/ADPD4001. Consult the ADPD4000/ADPD4001 data sheet in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADPD4000Z-PPG.
Features & Benefits
- Board supports ADPD4000 and ADPD4001 population
- ADPD4000 (SPI) is the default board population
- All inputs and outputs are accessible to the user
- 3 separately driven green LEDs included
- 1 red and 1 IR LED included
- Metal baffle to block optical crosstalk
Works with the Wavetool Evaluation Software allowing
- Time domain graphing and logging
- Frequency domain graphing
- Statistical analysis
- Data streaming to other applications
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.